PART WAY THROUGH
Perhaps this was a bad time to do this particular piece. I have been busy with other things. The little one is making me all uncomfortable, and I’ve started the nesting phase. I want everything done now. I want the baby’s room done and everything washed and cleaned. There’s only one problem. … I’m not superwoman. So on top of my pregnant emotions and all the stuff I want done, let’s just throw on a complicated painting. That sounds smart.
I wanted to do something a little different from the still life I have been doing lately, but I still wanted a cup in the painting. This one was definitely more frustrating than my other ones and I wanted to burn it a few times. I put some detail in and then took it out, and then put some back in and then some back out. The mittens were what I was having the most problems with. I just could figure out the right amount of detail. I needed to show that they were mittens, and show the form, but too much detail just took away from the piece.
I think it was because I wasn’t able to get the detail I wanted in the face. I couldn’t get the contrast I wanted because the darkest layers were maxed out in the layers of coffee they would take. I’m hoping that once I get some money, I can test out some watercolor canvas boards and see if those take more coffee layers than the paper.
Here’s the finished piece. I gave the nose a little more definition and took out some of the detail I had on the mitten. Hopefully next time I do a piece this complicated, I have found a better surface that can take more layers.
Now for sale at shalevbasya.storenvy.com